Thursday, January 21, 2010

What does the President Read?

I received an email with a photo of PrezBO holding a book called "The Post-American World". The tone noted that it was written by a Muslim and was more or less anti-American (and you could allude to the fact that they were shaming Obama for reading it or it's proof of his Muslim and/or anti-American leanings). I clicked on the Snopes Link (and yes, I know that they have a liberal bias) but thought I would also go ahead and click to Amazon.com to read a review of the book.

I must say that based on the review (and the Q&A between the book author and fellow author Thomas Friedman) that I too would read this book! We need to be more competitive and I like Friedman's commentary that the USA needs to be on the cutting edge of energy technology (clean coal emissions, for example) so that we can sell that technology to rising nations like China. One 'takeaway' from that Q&A was a lightbulb comment--if we gave one standard 60 watt bulb to the next billion people that will be born we'd need 20 new 500 megawatt coal burning plants. WOW. SO, hopefully we have scientists and people much smarter than me working on clean technology solutions so we can continue compete on the global stage!

No comments: