Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Senator Byrd-time to go?

This is a perfect case for Term Limits. While I respect the fact that Senator Byrd has set a record for his service I want to 'cut and paste' a few things from the AP article written by Laurie Kellerman.

*It was unclear whether Byrd would be able to attend Wednesday's session.

* He has cast more than 18,000 votes and, despite fragile health that has kept him from the Senate floor during much of this year, has a nearly 98 percent attendance record over the course of his career.

*Friday is his 92nd birthday.


Now I must admit that I have bias against him as he is known for his pork (another quote from Laurie's article: "He's a champion of "earmarks" - pet project spending that critics also call "pork." He's helped bring home to West Virginia $326 million for 2008 alone, according to Citizens Against Government Waste.") but truly I feel that ALL of our Senators and House members should have a much shorter shelf life. If he is not attending Congress, why is he there? And it's not blaming him for anything in particular, but I feel that many in Congress are too focused on special interest groups and companies and are biased against making tough decisions for our country versus voting using polls so that they can remain in Congress! As I type that comment, I must note that I think my Representative, Dr. Tom Price, has done great things and his voting has been in-line with many of my thoughts. So what to do? Guess it will be a 'toss the baby out with the bathwater' (e.g. getting rid of a 'good guy' along with some of the corrupted (yes, I said it) members).

Why are term limits so important to me? ALL of Congress have forgotten why they are in office: to serve US. Not special interests and not to vote laws that more or less purchase votes. As it relates to health care, why do they get a VIP health plan (at our expense)? Why can't they use the new health plan (in whatever form it passes)? As far as unemployment is concerned, wouldn't you like to vote on your own pay? Even as monster corporations get bashed by Congress, you don't see CEO's paying themselves MORE money when the company is losing money? I digress by complaining about Congress complaining about "corporate excess" by flying around in corporate jets--how does Madame Queen Pelosi get around? Do you think you'll ever sit next to her in Coach (heck, even on 1st class!) on Delta??? NOT!

Bottom line: Congress is broken. Let's end the fiefdoms of ALL of our "leaders" (lowercase and in quotes on purpose) and see how they fare in the real world like US. See how their tax and spend policies help them out (there are over 237 Congressional MILLIONAIRES currently serving us! Wonder how they'll like the tax code if they were private citizens again?) Let's work on getting Term Limits passed! My 2 cents and your rant for the day :)

No comments: