Friday, November 6, 2009

Obama signs tax credit extension!

In a rare bit of bi-partisanship, the house passed a bill extending jobless benefits AND the 1st-time homebuyer tax credit in a 403-12 vote (wonder who the 12 were??). The bill also expanded this tax credit, giving a $6,500.00 tax credit to 'move up' buyers. While this is great news, there is one "issue" (if you can call it that) about this new credit--you have to have lived in your principal residence for over 5 years. Using myself as an example, I have only been in my current home for 3 years. Prior to that, I lived in my old house for right at or just under 5 years, so that may have worked, but I was only in my first 2 homes for 2 years/4 years respectively. I would say that this is more or less common (to be so 'transient'). People like to move up; that's the goal! My current home is exactly what I need for now and I don't forsee moving in the near future. But if I wanted to move, this new law would not benefit me at all. I would think that this restriction is going to make this new tax credit pretty worthless. The intention was good, but the execution leaves a lot to be desired. But hey, I won't complain any longer as any help for the housing industry these days is a good thing (and the tax credit extension is a great thing too!).

One soapbox issue: based on how well the government has performed with the H1N1 vaccine, do you really want them handling our healthcare? While I'm at it, can you think of ANYTHING the government does efficiently? Just a thought...

No comments: